An Århus Photo Diary

I did it! I finally visited Århus, the second largest city in Denmark (which is still pretty small by British standards) when Teri came to visit me once more. We spent 2 days in Århus which was the perfect amount of time to see what the city had to offer. The coach trip was 4 hours long, the same length as the train but half the price, and we stayed in the cutest Airbnb in the Latin Quarter, which was the perfect spot for exploring the city. The city was definitely similar to Copenhagen, it was a very cosy city full of bakeries and cafes, so it was right up my alley.

What to Do
The streets were so picturesque that we spent most of the time just wandering around the city. The city was very walkable so we didn't need to use any public transport, so we really did explore a lot. 
We arrived at around 4pm so didn't do much on our first night except check into our airbnb and eat (which I will talk about later on).

On our second day, we spent a good few hours at ARoS, an art museum I had been dying to visit for the rainbow panorama alone. There were 8 floors (I think) full with different exhibitions, I found the Art and Porn and Human Nature really interesting; although we spent the majority of time taking photos of the rainbow panorama, we walked around twice, and ended up taking about 400 photos in total, which was so excessive but also very fun. I'd definitely recommend a trip to the art museum if you're ever in the city as it was definitely a cool experience.
We stumbled upon Møllestien, a street I have seen so many times on Instagram and it was one of the prettiest streets I've ever seen. The houses were adorable, and it made me wish I was also living in a cosy little cottage like the inner-70-year-old woman I am at heart.
In the late afternoon, we visited a couple of cafes and bars as we had a walk around the Latin Quarter. It was such a cosy area, and we definitely enjoyed having a look in some of the independent stores which were full of lots of quirky items to buy.
On our final day, we headed up to the university, and had a small walk around the campus, apparently one of the prettiest campuses in Europe, but personally, I preferred Leeds' campus if I'm being honest.   We then headed to the other side of the canal, to have a look at the more modern side of Århus. We had a wander around some of the more commercial streets in the city and stumbled upon a rooftop terrace at the Salling Department Store. The terrace had a glass deck above the street below, which was pretty creepy as I have a small fear of heights so did not enjoy looking down at the people below. The drinks were surprisingly cheap so we both grabbed a hot drink to enjoy whilst looking out at the city we both loved a little bit.
We didn't have much time left to do anything before our coach ride home so I would definitely say that you only need a few days in the city to have fun, we had thought of renting a car for a day but it looked like it would be an expensive trip, so decided to just stay in Århus and enjoy what the city had to offer.
Where to Eat
I'm not going to lie, I had some of the best food of my life in Århus. We had breakfast at Bill's Coffee and La Cabra Coffee Roasters, which were both great, although the pastry I had at La Cabra was a little bit too sweet... We had lunch at Cafe Gemmestedet, they honestly made some of the best sandwiches I have ever had, and I couldn't recommend the place enough! And we had amazingggg pizza at AmoRomA and I had the best fish and chips in Denmark at Café Drudenfuss. We also had drinks at Vinstuen which was pretty cool, I loved the decor and the music, and the prices were pretty good too!
 Unfortunately, our coach home was delayed so we ended up spending an hour in the street food market opposite the bus station. It had so much to offer, but we had already bought food for the coach ride home but I wish we had had time to eat in there as it all smelled so good! I think it would definitely be worth a visit if in the city for a weekend or so.
I wish I had visited Århus sooner, it would've been great to have visited the city a couple of different times as I really enjoyed my few days there. It's a great city, kinda like a smaller version of Copenhagen, which is great for me, who hates cycling so much.

Popular Posts