Settling into Danish Life

So term has finally started at UCPH this week and I'm beginning to feel like I am finally settling into Danish life. I've also managed to finally get a bike, my Danish CPR number, and a Rejsekort card which have definitely made me feel a little bit more like a real Dane. At the weekend I managed to explore the centre a bit more when I tagged along with Sav to a small Sociology/Anthropology tour. The views from the Round Tower were amazing (at certain angles) and I finally saw Den Lille Havfrue which was just as disappointing as I had heard it would be, but it was fun to see people almost fall into the sea in order to get a photograph touching her boobs...


Cycling is a lot easier than I expected, the bike lanes are big and easy to follow so I feel quite embarrassed at how nervous I was to use them. Sav and I have done quite a bit of cycling this week, and even managed to find a beach/water park 15 minutes away from Signalhuset. Hopefully the weather stays warm for a while so we can go back again soon.

I'm still getting used to the different university cultures (there's so much more focus on group work here than back at Leeds) and it's the first time ever where I've been one of the youngest students in a class, which feels very strange for some reason. Classes are also a lot different, in a two hour class, you only have about an hour and half of teaching (or in my case about 40 minutes because I ended up being about 35 minutes late to my very first lecture because I went to the wrong room, but all was good as the professor gave everyone a chocolate bar because of all of the confusion - another reason Copenhagen is one of the happiest cities in the world.)
A positive aspect, though, is how modern and light the humanities campus is: there's so many green spaces and all of the buildings have such big windows which is a huge upgrade from studying in the Brotherton Library back home. The university buildings also sell beer after 5pm which pretty cool too, especially since I am forcing myself to like it since it's so cheap to drink here.

I'm going to go exploring again on Friday (unless the rain that has been forecast is anything like it has been whilst I've been here) because I really want to visit Nørrebro and I have no excuse to not visit now as I can cycle there and back. I also want to make the most of my free time before university really begins as the History course I'm doing seems pretty intense and don't want the stress to build up lots on my year abroad.
A great Danish song to listen to if you want to pretend your life is a 90s sitcom: Magi i Luften
